L’Antilope -1858-, an oyster of excellence throughout the history of Normandy.
In -1858-, under the reign of the Emperor Louis Napoléon Bonaparte, was a wheeled classified steamship belonging to the Imperial Navy. At its command, Lieutenant Charlemagne.
The ship assigned to the naval section of Granville, had for main mission the surveillance of the oyster farms of the Bay recognized as the wealth of the coastal waters. This is how the Aviso crossed paths with a special oyster.
On December, 14th, 1858, on this day of high tide, the boat until then at anchor in the Chausey Islands, was called in to assist a ship in difficulty in the West of the Cap of Carteret. In a context of intense fog, a very strong current took the Aviso up against the dreaded rocks of the Sénéquet known as Les Hattes and ran aground on the Longquequet rock.
This is how the ship named “L’Antilope” settled forever closed to the oyster farms and remains their great protector for all eternity.
For several decades the remains of the ship have been visible at each high tide, in particular the crankshaft that drove the two propulsion wheels.
And from this story was born the oyster Antilope -1858-, a special oyster produced by the NAVARRE company taking inspiration from nature and these facts in order to adapt an innovative production method.
This generous nature and its respect constitutes one of the essential elements in the culture and the good development of our oysters. The presence of a strong current in the area gives us an incomparable quality of growing with rich waters for a fleshy oyster full of flavor.
The Antilope -1858-, through its history, its color, its shape and its subtle taste will give you a lifelong passion …